skip to Main Content

First Benefits Insurance Mutual Claims

Claims Department Phone: 800.360.7867
Fax: 919.977.5844

Secure Medical Treatment

In North Carolina, an employer may direct an injured workers medical care.  We strongly encourage employers in North Carolina to identify physicians that can provide immediate treatment to an injured worker.  If an injured worker does not need emergency care at a hospital, it is best to direct the injured worker to an urgent care or occupational medicine facility for any medical needs beyond first aid.  Have the name, address and phone number of an urgent care or occupational medicine facility available to all supervisors and employees and post that information in your workspace.  It may also be helpful to have available the name, address and phone number for an orthopaedic clinic.

If you need assistance identifying medical providers in your area, please contact the Claims Department with First Benefits and we will be happy to assist you.

How to File a Claim

It is important for an employer to complete a First Report of Injury or Illness and submit it to First Benefits within 24 hours of injury so that we can provide appropriate forms to an employee on your behalf.

Important Forms

Form 17

G.S. 97-93 Requires employers to post “in a conspicuous place in places of employment” a notice that states the employer has a policy of insurance.  Posting of a Form 17 complies with the statute.  We recommend posting the Form 17 in both English and Spanish.

Forms 18 and 19

Many injuries that occur at work are minor.  They often involve limited medical treatment and do not require an employee to miss work.   Other injuries are more severe.  Some injuries may be disputed.  In order to ensure that an employee is advised of his or her rights, there are laws and rules that require First Benefits to provide an employee with certain forms at appropriate times.

Form 19 Employer Form

First Benefits will use the information from the First Report of Injury or Illness to draft a Form 19 that will be provided to an employee. Although we are required to provide an employee with a completed Form 19, the form does not have to be filed with the Industrial Commission in every claim.  We are only required to file a Form 19 with the North Carolina Industrial Commission when an employee has missed more than one day of work due to the injury or when more than $2,000 has been paid in medical expenses.  First Benefits will file a Form 19 with the North Carolina Industrial on your behalf, when appropriate.

Form 18 Employee Form

The filing of First Report of Injury or Illness with First Benefits is not the same as filing a claim with the Industrial Commission. Although an employer provides notice to First Benefits of an injury by submitting a First Report of Injury or Illness, an employee may elect to file a Form 18 with the North Carolina Industrial Commission within two years of the date of injury.  As required by law, First Benefits will send a blank Form 18 (English or Spanish)to the employee on your behalf when we send the completed Form 19.

Wage Information

If an employee misses time from work due to a compensable injury, he or she will be entitled to wage replacement benefits called temporary total disability.  In order to determine the amount of weekly compensation an injured worker is entitled to receive, we need for you to complete a Form 22.  The Form 22 should reflect gross wages earned by the injured worker during the 52-weeks immediately preceding the date of injury.  There are specific instructions on how to complete a Form 22 on the second page of the attachment.

Questions? Contact us at or call (800) 360-7867.

Back To Top