skip to Main Content

First Benefits Insurance Mutual Claims

Claims Department Phone: 800.360.7867
Fax: 919.977.5844

Secure Medical Treatment

In South Carolina, an employer may direct an injured worker’s medical care.  We strongly encourage employers in South Carolina to identify physicians that can provide immediate treatment to an injured worker.  If an injured worker does not need emergency care at a hospital, it is best to direct the injured worker to an urgent care or occupational medicine facility for any medical needs beyond first aid.  Have the name, address and phone number of an urgent care or occupational medicine facility available to all supervisors and employees and post that information in your workspace.  It may also be helpful to have available the name, address and phone number for an orthopaedic clinic.

If you need assistance identifying medical providers in your area, please contact the Claims Department with First Benefits and we will be happy to assist you.

How to File a Claim

It is important for an employer to complete a First Report of Injury or Illness and submit it to First Benefits within 24 hours of injury so that we can provide appropriate forms to an employee on your behalf. (Download the form to enter your information.)

Important Forms

Form 12A – First Report of Injury

First Benefits will use the information from the First Report of Injury or Illness to draft a Form 12A.  First Benefits will file a Form 12A with the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission on your behalf, when appropriate.

Wage Information

If an employee misses time from work due to a compensable injury, he or she will be entitled to wage replacement benefits.  In order to determine the amount of weekly compensation an injured worker is entitled to receive, we need for you to complete a Form 20.  The Form 20 should reflect total wages earned by the injured worker during the last four quarters immediately preceding the quarter in which the injury occurred as reported on the Employment Security Commission’s Employer Contribution Reports.

Questions? Contact us at or call (800) 360-7867.

Back To Top